“Every great achiever is inspired by a great mentor.”
– Lailah Gifty Akita
According to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, the word mentor means tutor or coach. Now let’s think about that for a minute. When someone struggles in school, they get a tutor. Every athlete has a coach. But when it comes to climbing the corporate ladder, starting and growing a business, or achieving financial success many people try to go at it alone.
It’s no coincidence that some of the most successful people in history have all had mentors. A few examples are:
- Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates was mentored by Warren Buffet.
- Virgin Group co-founder Richard Branson was mentored by British airline entrepreneur Sir Freddie Laker.
- Oprah Winfrey was mentored by Maya Angelou.
- The first American woman in space, Sally Ride, was mentored by her graduate school professor, Dr Arthur Walker.
- Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg was mentored by Steve Jobs.
And the list goes on and on.
Now that small list should be enough to make you start looking for a mentor, but if you still need some convincing here are 10 reasons why you need a mentor:
- A mentor will understand your struggle because they’ve already gone where you’re trying to go.
- A mentor can help you grow and achieve your potential.
- A mentor can save you time and money because you’ll make fewer mistakes.
- A mentor will hold you accountable and help you stay focused.
- A mentor will give you information and knowledge that can’t be learned in a book.
- A mentor will motivate you to keep working towards your goals.
- A mentor can provide access to connections you don’t have.
- A mentor can be a sounding board and provide you with unbiased advice.
- A mentor can see your faults better than you can and will provide constructive criticism for change.
- A mentor is the best service you can get because they are driven by watching you succeed.
Now that you understand the importance of having a mentor, take a look at this video from Evan Carmichael that explains the 5 Ways To Find Mentors. You can also subscribe to his YouTube channel here.